Monday, February 2, 2009

**Herb Of The Day**- Basil




Basil is a wonderful green herb, used heavily in italian cooking,for many dishes including pesto sauce and many many tomatoe inspired fare.and the large fresh leaves give a strong taste to green salads and is also used to infuse oil and vinigerettes. Basil is vital for one staple salad "Insalata Tricolore" or caprese salad. This is made with ripe tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves drizzled with a fine olive oil.

3 comments:

  1. Basil is incredibly easy to grow. I grow it in a pot on my windowsill& like to lightly chop a few fresh leaves for an omelette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's probally my 3rd favorite herb and there are so many varities...and I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The herb of love. Funny how I often dream of pesto when I am love-starved.

    ReplyDelete