Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Pushing up Daisies" and radishes and peas on the patio

OK so I couldn't think of something wittier for the title, but you get my meaning. Patio or deck gardening can be quite the challenge because of the small amount of space there is to work with, but with a little smart thinking and patience it can be very fun and super rewarding. I grew up around gardens, as a child my grandmother had a garden my mother had a garden and I always loved to help them with it. Once I moved out and became a thinking man, I wanted to get back into gardening but I didn't have a big back yard or a few acres , I had a deck...

I began to get more interested from great shows like the "Victory Garden" and " Barefoot Contessa" and decided to do more research. I started small by planting a few items such as peppers, tomatoes, and so on,after success with those I decided this year I'd try a wider variety of things. I started my seeds about a month or so ago and everything I've planted has popped up and is thriving. Right now I have Peas, radishes, peppers (4 different kinds), 3 variety of basil, 2 variety of parsley, sage, rosemary, chives, chamomile, and a huge variety of flowers. I am so happy with the turnout.

The key for me this year was to start the seed in the sowing time, you'll figure that out by looking at most seed packs and picking out your state. I also started the seeds indoors until the sprouted and then transferred them to the different pots with enough space for them to flourish. I water the once every other day, and I also use Miracle Grow fertilizer as well.
The key is to start them in season, give plant enough space to grow properly, water and fertilize consistently and provide the proper sunlight the plant requires. Give it a try you'll see just how simple it can be. Happy Planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment