Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Perfect Roasted Chicken - (in my humble opinion)

I love chicken, mostly because I ate it so much growing up but also because it is so versatile. There are over a million recipes for chicken I'm sure and I'm sure just about as many ways to cook the bird, but the trick is to use the proper technique for each recipe you try. I've roasted countless chicken throughout my time as a cook and I am constantly looking for ways to improve recipes and simplify the process of roasting in general but I have found the classic technique to be the best. This is a dinner I cooked a few nights ago for someone and here's that recipe, try it for yourself and see if it works as well for you!

1 3-4 lb. (approximately) chicken, quartered
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. oregano or marjoram
1/4 tsp. rosemary
2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Wash chicken and cut into quarters.

In a heavy skillet, add olive oil to a depth of 1/4 inch. Add whole cloves garlic and chopped onion.

Measure flour, salt and pepper into a zipper plastic bag. Shake 2 pieces of chicken at a time in the bag until well coated.

Brown the chicken evenly on both sides in the olive oil. There is no need to cook through. Transfer browned chicken and onion slices to a casserole dish or baking pan.

Combine herbs and chicken broth. Baste chicken with broth and a little olive oil, and continue to baste occasionally during the cooking.

Roast chicken for 50 minutes or until tender and juices run clear (depends upon weight of chicken). Breast temperature should be about 160°F.

No comments:

Post a Comment